Bishop John Joseph Chanche, SS, arrived four years later in May 1841 as the first bishop of the Diocese. There was no church building and only a handful of missionary priests to welcome him.
From that humble beginning 175 years ago, the Diocese of Jackson has grown into a region that encompasses 65 of the state’s 82 counties. It is home to 75 parishes, 28 missions, and some 48,000 registered Catholics.
Today we celebrate the accomplishments of the people who have built the Diocese and who remain focused on the great gift and mystery of the Holy Eucharist.