Fort Rosalie

Bienville established Fort Rosalie on the Mississippi River in 1716, and the town of Natchez developed nearby. The first Catholic church in Mississippi was built by the French on a plateau below Fort Rosalie and above the river landing at Natchez. In 1718, the French brought the first enslaved Africans to Mississippi, forever shaping the development of the state and nation. By 1722, a French Catholic parish was established.